Sherwin-Williams and McKinney launch “Color Collecting” campaign
New campaign features “knolling” in TV, print and digital to encourage DIY audience to get the most out of their color with Sherwin-Williams paint
Sherwin-Williams and McKinney have launched the Color Collectingcampaign to show off the coordinated color collections of HGTV HOME by Sherwin-Williams. The campaign features objects inspired by individual color collections arranged in eye-catching, geometric ways. This pictorial tidying is called knolling, a term coined in the 1980s for an art form now making its way to Madison Avenue. Sherwin-Williams is the first in the paint category to use and animate this art form.
• In TV, print, and digital, objects representing each color collection are arranged on a flat surface along with coordinating HGTV HOME by Sherwin-Williams color chips to create colorful, beautifully organized patterns. The knolling photography was done in real time instead of shooting each object separately and arranging them with photo editing software. The objects in the ads range from a live rabbit named Walter to a chessboard set with a historic move.
• Two :30 spots use stop-motion techniques to animate color-themed objects representing the Coastal Cool and Global Spice color collections. Each spot ends with the objects becoming color chips inside a home’s floor plan.The television commercials launched May 2nd.
• Two full-page print ads, one for the Traditional Twist collection and one for the Softer Side collection, will appear in high-end shelter magazines, starting in June books
• Two interactive Flash banners of the same collections launch May 2, with the objects transforming into Sherwin-Williams color chips when a cursor hovers over them.
• All executions use the tag, “Coordinated color collections, only at Sherwin-Williams.” Each color collection includes 20 colors that are designed to work together in any combination in any room or throughout a home, from room to room. Do-it-yourselfers can simply choose the designer-inspired look they want to achieve, and they’ve got a foolproof way to create a cohesive look.
Ellen Moreau, Vice President of Marketing Communications, Sherwin-Williams
“This new campaign does a great job of depicting how easy HGTV HOME by Sherwin-Williams makes the painting process — from inspiration to color selection to a beautiful finished home — all in a fun and engaging manner.”
Ellen Steinberg, Group Creative Director, McKinney
“These color collections are not only beautiful (not to mention user-friendly), but they are very much inspired by a particular situation or experience — say, a summer at the beach or a trip through different cultures of the world. We wanted to really pay homage to what often inspires our color choices and what ultimately inspired the colors in these collections.”
For nearly 150 years, Sherwin-Williams has been an industry leader in the development of technologically advanced paint and coatings. As the nation’s largest specialty retailer of paint and painting supplies, Sherwin-Williams is dedicated to supporting both do-it-yourselfers and painting professionals with exceptional products, resources to make confident color selections and expert, personalized service that’s focused on unique project needs. Sherwin-Williams products can only be found at its more than 3,900 neighborhood stores across North America. For more information, visit sherwin-williams.com. Join Sherwin-Williams on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.
Founded in 1969, McKinney’s mission is to help our clients build influential brands by creating big ideas that grab people emotionally and change the way they think, feel and behave. McKinney is recognized for having one of the most innovative business models in the industry focused on delivering creativity that the influences the world. Since January 2012, McKinney has won nearly 40 major industry awards, including seven Effies, a Cannes Lion, a One Show Interactive Pencil and six IAB MIXX Awards (including Best in Show). Because we are hard on the work and good to each other, McKinney has been recognized as one of the best U.S. agencies, one of the Best Places to Work in Marketing & Media by Advertising Age, and one of a handful of agencies setting the standard for creativity by One Magazine. In addition to Sherwin-Williams, the agency’s clients include Nationwide, Nationwide Financial, Travelocity, Samsung, Mentos, World of Coca-Cola, ESPN, Mizuno USA, Hankook, Gold’s Gym, Royal Canin, CenturyLink, Dognition, Big Boss Brewing, Durham Convention & Visitors Bureau, and Urban Ministries of Durham. McKinney is part of Cheil Worldwide, one of the world’s leading marketing communications networks with 59 offices in 33 countries. One agency with two doors, McKinney has offices in both Durham, North Carolina, and in New York.